LONDON BUDDHIST VIHARA EXTENSION WORKS
PROGRESS UPDATE NO 6, FOR PERIOD ENDING 30 June 2020
1. Work Commenced on 20 January 2020
2. Ground Floor Works
* After the removal of the boiler, the demolition of the external walls are completed
* Oil Tank (storage tank for boiler ) was cut into sections and removed
* Excavation for external walls are completed
* Concrete foundations for internal walls completed
* Brickwork in foundations for internal walls are in progress
* Excavation for column foundations are completed
* Concreting foundations for columns are completed after approval from Builidng Control for soil condition and depth of foundation
* Ground floor slab completed after completion of breaking existing slab to make levels including additional hardcore filling as required
* Generally, all ground works are completed
3. Ground floor toilet conversion to Ladies Toilet
* All work completed
* Brickwork in ground floor external walls completed to first floor level
* All external walls in Ground Floor and First floor are completed
5. Roof Work
* Main Hall Roof
All boarding and edging completed and completely sealed off.
Laying of final roofing felt layer will be completed along with other roof areas in one continuous operation by roofing sub-contractor
* First Floor Extension
Flat Roof – All timber framework completed including eaves for tile roof
6. Steel Erection work
* Erection of all steel columns and beams in Ground Floor and First Floor area completed
7. Acoustic Doors – Main Hall/Sermon Hall
* Work in both Doors are complete, and area cleared.
* After the recent visit to the site by the Mechanical Services sub-contractor it was found that the old ducts and unused cables in the Sermon Hall within the space between the ceiling and the roof has to be removed and the area needs to be cleared to make way to install the new Mechanical system.
The removal of the ducts and old cables above Sermon Hall ceiling are completed and cleared from site and now ready for installation of first fix M&E works
* Work will commence on mechanical installation from first week of July.
9. Electrical Installation
* First fix electrical work commenced in First floor Extension
* First fix electrical work commenced in Main Hall
10. Drainage Installation
* First fix drainage work commenced in First Floor Extension
11. Roof Lantern – Main Hall
* Glazing and timber frame removed
* Cleaning steel frame in progress
12. General Notes
As the lockdown conditions are still in place, a programme review will be undertaken at the end of July 2020 and the progress of work will be monitored on a regular basis until completion.
Prepared by Leslie Dep – 6 July 2020
Appeal for Funds
Proposed New Extension
As you know, we wrote to you in December 2019 with details of the proposed Building Extension at the London Buddhist Vihara. This letter is to update you on the present status of the project.
In our previous letter we made an Appeal for donations to cover the shortfall of funds to meet the estimated cost of the project. We are pleased to say that we had very good response from our supporters and the donations received so far will help us a great deal in our endeavour to complete this project in time. The work started on 20th January 2020 as planned and the progress has been satisfactory. The contractor has been very cooperative, and the work is currently on schedule. (see photographs attached).
You will see from the enclosed list that some of our supporters have undertaken to fund various items that are needed. This is very generous of them and is greatly appreciated. As we are still short of funds to meet the target, we wish to extend our Appeal to all of you to help in any way you are able to. This could be by sponsoring an item on the list or a cash donation however small. All donations will be duly acknowledged.
As already described in our previous letter, the proposed building project will include a new first floor extension with 4 bedrooms for resident and visiting monks and ground floor works including relocation of the kitchen, seating area for visitors, additional storage space, relocation of the gents toilet and the ladies toilet, improving the disabled toilet, installing new heating and ventilation systems with the replacement of the existing oil fired boiler and improving the main hall and the sermon hall. The relevant information and the building plans are displayed in the main hall and on the LBV website. The work is progressing well. The estimated cost is £ 1 million. Your kind donations are most welcome and will help to complete this project successfully on time.
If you wish to make a donation, please make it payable to the following account.
Payee – London Buddhist Vihara Builidng Fund or LBV Building Fund
Bank – NatWest
A/c No : 33928452
Sort Code: 56-00-31
Your donation will be gratefully received and acknowledged with a receipt.
You are also able to make any donations to the various major items and for some sections of work, a schedule of which is attached to this letter.
Thanking you in advance for your support. With Metta
The Head Monk and the Vihara Management Committee